Friday, October 17, 2014

Applying for a green card with misdemeanor convictions on your record could mean deportation


Q: I am a permanent resident. Twenty years ago I was convicted of felonies and faced deportation. However, the immigration judge granted me a waiver. Since then, I have been convicted of two misdemeanors. I want to renew my expired green card. Should my misdemeanor convictions worry me?

Name Withheld, QueensA: Though your convictions were for misdemeanors only, applying for a new green card could mean your deportation. It depends on the misdemeanors. The law considers some misdemeanors to be “aggravated felonies.” And, some misdemeanors that are not aggravated felonies can result in deportation. Get an immigration law expert to review your record. Read more:http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/citizenship-now/misdemeanor-convictions-lead-deportation-article-1.1969480

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive