Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A U.S. citizen's criminal record won't affect his wife's chances for permanent resident status

Q: I am a U.S. citizen. I want to marry my longtime girlfriend and get her a green card. Presently, I am in jail, but I am fighting the criminal charges against me. Once we marry, will my criminal record be a problem when my wife applies for permanent residence?

F., Rikers Island
A: Your criminal record won’t impact your wife-to-be’s green card rights.
Immigration likes to interview a couple together. The law doesn’t require that, but part of your struggle will be to get the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to approve your petition for your wife without a joint interview.
If you petition for your wife after you get out of jail, her case becomes the same as for most other spouses of a citizen. Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/citizenship-now/criminal-record-deterrent-fiancee-green-card-article-1.1997862

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive