Monday, November 9, 2015

The privilege of natural-born U.S. citizenship


After nearly seven grueling years, I reached my first lifelong goal on Aug. 9. I became a U.S. citizen.
During the first two years of processing my permanent residency for the United States, I battled various culture shocks studying in South Korea and later in Canada—my parents had been denied visas to return to the United States. Depression and anorexia set in when I realized I had to abandon my childhood home and friends in America.
After coming back to the United States in 2010, I saw my family break up to the point that my father was unable to live with me until 2012 because he could not find a stable job in the United States. To me, my U.S. citizenship represents all the tears I shed during family feuds, the mockery hurled my way for my low-income status, and the suicidal thoughts that I’ve had to overcome. Read more: http://columbiaspectator.com/opinion/2015/10/18/privilege-natural-born-us-citizenship

Contact Darren Heyman, immigration attorney Las Vegas, for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive